Churches & Monasteries

CHURCH OF ST.GEORGE

Built in 1835 over a much older church from the 16th century, the small church of St. George stands in the centre of Struga. It contains frescos from the end of 19th century, but its real treasure is a small gallery of icons from 13th to 19th century, including the well known icon of St.George painted in 1267. A long inscription on the back of icon mentions “Struga of Ohrid”,

View More...

Monastery of The Holy Mother of God

The Monastery complex of Kalishta is placed on the coast of Ohrid lake in a natural rocky environment. Kalishta is actually the name of the village next to which the monastery is built. This stavropighial complex - which is directly under the authority of the Archbishop of a Macedonian Orthodox Church consist of four churches: two dedicated to the Nativity of Our Most Holy Mother of God(one old, in a cave and one new), a Church dedicated to Sts. Peter and Paul, the apostoles, and one dedicated to St. Athanasius the Great(in a cave).

View More...

The cave church of St. Archangel Mikhail in Radozhda

The cave church dedicated to the Leader of the Heavenly Forces, Archangel Michael was built in the natural caves high in the rocks in one of the most beautiful areas on the west coast of Lake Ohrid, above the village of Radozda. The church got today’s architectural look in the 14th century when also it was decorated inside with fresco painting.

View More...